- Scottish Government report predicts that Scotland's seaweed industry could reach a total turnover of 71.2m GBP per year by 2040, if backed and given chance to grow.
Scottish Government report predicts that Scotland's #seaweed industry could reach a total turnover of £71.2m per year by 2040, if backed and given chance to grow. https://t.co/ayoi7bz4jt— Harper Macleod Marine Economy (@Marine_Economy) November 30, 2022
- The Canadian Centre for Fisheries Innovation CCFI is supporting research into the development of commercial seaweed operations off the coast of Newfoundland, positioning Canada to become a bigger player in a billion-dollar global industry.
CCFI is supporting research into the development of commercial #seaweed operations off the coast of #Newfoundland, positioning Canada to become a bigger player in a billion-dollar global industry. #Staytuned #economicdevelopment #sustainabledevelopment #blueeconomy #innovation pic.twitter.com/ebP7HkzY7f— Canadian Centre for Fisheries Innovation (@CCFI_MUN) November 25, 2022
- ANL, Australian shipping company announces the launch of 'The K-Help Initiative', the company’s newest project aiming to protect marine biodiversity, focusing on the regeneration of giant kelp forests around the south-eastern part of Tasmania, Australia.
ANL helps the kelp https://t.co/r8BP8ClXCP— southpacificmarinepark.com (@GeoffreyPeel1) November 29, 2022
- Oceanium is part of a new industry-wide consortium funded by the European Union which will propel the seaweed farming industry across Europe. SeaMark is a consortium comprising 25 international, cross-disciplinary partners which has been awarded a prestigious €9 million grant to upscale seaweed production and market applications across Europe, meet the growing demand for seaweed-based products and attract investment from multiple sectors.
In @IBioIC's November Newsletter: @OceaniumLtd is part of a new industry-wide consortium funded by the European Union which will propel the seaweed farming industry across Europe.— IBioIC (@IBioIC) November 25, 2022
Read more: https://t.co/Agm5YxqcFw
- Microalgae have the potential to improve the quality of soil.
We believe that microalgae have the potential to improve the QUALITY of soil GLOBALLY.— ElixEarth (@elixearth) November 28, 2022
While solving some of the world’s greatest issues in sustainability: GLOBAL FOOD SECURITY. For more info visit https://t.co/GlQfSLd5sj pic.twitter.com/XmpSTYBt9v
- New type of seaweed found below Antarctica could help limit global warming.
New type of seaweed found below Antarctica could help limit global warming | UK News | Sky News https://t.co/AaUzhOj76C— Scottish Seaweed Industry Association (@SeaweedScotland) November 29, 2022
- Vegan food manufacturer Vgarden, and microalgae-based alternative protein company Brevel, announced a collaboration to develop a new category of high-protein plant-based cheese.
Vegan food manufacturer Vgarden, and microalgae-based alternative protein company Brevel, recently announced a collaboration to develop a new category of high-protein plant-based cheese. https://t.co/yi0NO5rSil#experience #food #innovation #protein #vegan #algae #eaba #dlg— AlgaEurope (@AlgaeCongresss) November 29, 2022
- UK-based aquaculture company Seafields has announced a deal with sister company JustCarbon, a blockchain carbon marketplace, to tokenise the carbon removal credits.
Congrats to @SeafieldsSL and @JustCarbonCom for their blue carbon tokenization deal with credits produced from Seafields' seaweed megafarm. Check out more here: https://t.co/lRReOgwDNc#carbonremoval #seaweed #carboncredits— Carbon Business Council (@CO2Council) November 23, 2022
- Brilliant Planet (UK) aims to engineer algae blooms to remove emissions, and then sell the service in carbon markets.
Brilliant Planet wants to engineer algae blooms to remove emissions, and then sell the service in carbon markets https://t.co/0mX9ZrpMyV— BN Commodities (@BNCommodities) November 25, 2022
- GreenWave’s launched the Kelp Climate Fund in 2021 to provide ocean farmers direct payments for the bundle of climate impacts that growing kelp provides - specifically, carbon and nitrogen removal and reef restoration.
"Blue carbon policy, science, and offset markets are not moving at the pace of the climate crisis," says Bren Smith. In response, we launched the Kelp Climate Fund to pay ocean farmers for the bundle of climate impacts growing kelp provides.— GreenWave (@GreenWaveOrg) November 29, 2022
Read More: https://t.co/wHNoy7aW8J
- Australian start-up Rumin8 is offering a synthetic alternative that mimics the effect of seaweed in preventing cows from belching climate-warming methane.
Australian startup Rumin8 is offering a synthetic alternative that mimics the effect of seaweed in preventing cows from belching climate-warming methanehttps://t.co/PkcRFXXa4M— BN Commodities (@BNCommodities) November 30, 2022
Science and Technology:
- The movement patterns of microscopic algae can be mapped in greater detail than ever before, giving new insights into ocean health – new technology developed at the University of Exeter.
"New technology maps movement of microscopic algae, crucial to ocean health"https://t.co/AtaSkeurg2 pic.twitter.com/vAU1ZfpSab— Clean Valley CIC (@ValleyClean1) November 28, 2022
- Researchers are looking at ways to reuse the material on decommissioned oil platforms to be new source of feed for Scottish aquaculture, which can include seaweed, mussels and corals.
Could #seaweed, #mussels and #coral on decommissioned oil platforms be a new source of feed for Scottish #aquaculture? A CessCon Decom and @AbertayUni feasibility study, with support from @IBioIC could lead to a range of new products and materials: https://t.co/QApEe2ARJ2 pic.twitter.com/N9VK42xFMP— Sustainable Aquaculture (@sustain_aqua) November 24, 2022
#lesfrimeurs #doctorsays #cleanse #detox #Thyroid #Antioxidant #Immunity #Hormonalbalance #growth #bonehealth #brain #weighloss #Digestivehealth #iodine #spirulina #seaweed #foodsupplements #nutritionalsupplement #supplement #health pic.twitter.com/Ei82BX2YxA— LesFrimeurs (@LFrimeurs) November 28, 2022
Organic seaweed detox
- This ‘Shark Tank’ Startup – Umaro Foods – is making vegan bacon out of seaweed
This startup turned seaweed into delicious vegan bacon— The Frugal Dietitian (@FrugalDietitian) November 28, 2022
Umaro Foods may have developed the first vegan bacon that’s actually good. #seaweed #Bacon #veganbacon #UmaroFoods https://t.co/7h9DWSO7DG
@OceaniumLtd has developed a high-fibre #seaweed-based one-for-one methylcellulose replacement for plant-based meat which can be used in other products applications including gluten-free breads and beverages.#food #algae #green #kelp #vegan #dlghttps://t.co/VqmUqeCFwZ— SEAGRICULTURE (@SeAgriculture) November 29, 2022
OCEANIUM (Scotland) has developed a high-fibre seaweed-based one-for-one methylcellulose replacement for plant-based meat which can be used in other products applications including gluten-free breads and beverages.
Its time to move on Organic🌱— Pinnacle Biosciences (@PinnacleBiosci3) November 22, 2022
We bring the goodness of #Seaweed through our products.
BIOMIX GRANULES is an all purpose #organic input for all crops.
For Orders & Enquiries - +91 9486289933
Learn more at - https://t.co/0tascBsqCP#organic #seaweed #fertilizer pic.twitter.com/u3eR5dks9i
all-purpose organic input for all crops.
🍇#Grapegrowers! How can #UPL’s #GoActiv #Biostimulant #BMStart® can help your #vineyards thrive? With nutrient rich #seaweed extract to improve cluster structure & uniformity + it’s #organic! Goodbye hens & chicks hello higher yields & quality!#UPL #OpenAg #viticulture pic.twitter.com/kFxmVqAAsn— UPL AUS Ltd (@UPLAUSLtd) October 31, 2022
biostimulant for grape growers/vineyards.
Funding / Grants:
- University of Gothenburg (Sweden) researchers received funding of 1.1 million USD for projects in seaweed/aquaculture.
- Sidney-based Cascadia Seaweed has been given $4.3 million by the federal government to establish a 100-hectare seaweed farm and agri-feed processing facility.
#seaweed #aquaculture— Sunny Yun He (@SunnyYunHe) November 25, 2022
Cascadia Seaweed, an Australia company, "... currently has about 26 hectares of seaweed under cultivation"
💦It finished lab test of seaweed cattle feed, will test with live animals
🇨🇦 It'll expand in Canada https://t.co/M1eOeeCt6M
Conference / Webinar:
- AlgaEurope 2022: December 13-15
💡 AlgaEurope 2022: it's in 3 weeks 📅!— EABA (@EABA_Algae) November 22, 2022
✏ You can still register at: https://t.co/EYNzhCQuV7 🤗
Discover the 13 different sessions of AlgaEurope 2022: https://t.co/aTbX7Jimuv#algae #microalgae #macroalgae #seaweed #biomass #innovation #research #science #technology #network
- Seagriculture Conference Asia-Pacific 2023: 8-9 February
Nita Rukminasari during #SEAGRI23AP will present a model that is designed for modeling tropical seaweed cultivation and simulates several aspects of the common tropical #seaweed cultivation system.— SEAGRICULTURE (@SeAgriculture) November 29, 2022
More info: https://t.co/nqOzAG0xmR
Registration now!#research pic.twitter.com/nLlde7pXLN
Following narratives continue to make buzz in social media:
- Seaweed farming to reduce carbon emissions.
- The food production of the future is in the sea.
- Notpla, alternate plastic from seaweed. / Seaweed in packaging industry
- Seaweed to reduce methane emission in cows / seaweed as cattle supplement.
- Seaweed uses in fashion / clothing.
- Algae as source for Omega-3s, DHA, EPA, Iodine etc.
- Seaweed uses in alcohol.
- Algae uses in medicines including cancer, diabetes, thyroid, diabetes.
- Seaweed as a source of a range of vitamins and minerals, including iodine, calcium, iron, dietary fibers
- Seaweed in food, snacks etc.
- Seaweed based fertilizer and soil additives